The Lynx FTP Web Client provides convenient access to the FTP server ftp.lynxinfo.co.uk for file download and upload using your desktop web browser.
File uploads and downloads may be slightly slower than direct FTP transfer, because of the overheads of transfer from the FTP server via this PHP server to your web browser, zipping the data and then mime-encoding it for HTTP transfer. For very large file uploads and downloads, a direct FTP connection using a desktop client application such as Filezilla will be quicker, and includes the ability to pause and resume file transfers. However, for downloads of a few hundred MB, over a reasonably fast internet connection, this web client will provide sufficient speed.
The following browsers are fully supported:
- Google Chrome (Windows and MacOS X) version 32+
- Mozilla Firefox (Windows and MacOS X) version 25+
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (Windows) version 10+
These browsers are partially supported:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (Windows) versions 6-9: basic download and upload functionality are supported. There is no drag and drop support for file upload, but the fallback single sequential file selection method for upload is supported; some CSS styling of dialogs and form elements is sub-optimal, but still useable (you may have to manually refresh the page to close dialogs after download or upload).
- Safari (MacOS X) version 5+ - no drag and drop support for file upload in version 5 - the fallback single sequential file selection for upload is supported
The PHP backend provides configuration options for connection to a specified FTP server - this server choice is not exposed to the web client.